What's On - August 2015

Dear Readers,

Woodhall Spa 1940's weekend is just around the corner and I am so excited you would think it's Christmas (which I love and it's absolutely not too early to begin thinking about). The events calendar is really going to get into full swing now and I couldn't be happier. Although it does make me feel funny to think that it's been a whole year since the last Woodhall Spa 1940s weekend and quickly that year has gone; indeed this will be the forth year the event has been held and we have been attending since the very first one. There are more events besides Woodhall and here's a few of the events we will be going to this August.

1st - 2nd August 2015
Baston in the Blitz
Follow the success of their one day event last year Baston in the Blitz is back again and this time for a full weekend. We went last year and there was a lovely village fete kind of atmosphere. I'm so pleased it was successful enough for them to run the event again and this time for both Saturday and Sunday. There's a packed schedule of performances to go and see including the Blitz Dancers, Katie Mustang, and the Tweedie Sisters. There will be stalls, some speeches by Winston Churchill and living history groups. There were some lovely vintage vehicles there last year too.
For more information go to www.bastonblitz.org

3rd - 9th August 2015
Crich Tramway Village 1940s Week
For a whole week Crich Tramway Village will be stepping back to WW2 with re-enactors, singers, and lots to see and do. We went to their 1940s event in the spring and despite it being a bit of a drive out of town it was well worth it. There's so much to do at the museum anyway from riding the trams, taking a wander around the museum and stopping for a drink at The Red Lion. When the war week is on it's a busy day and a few of us had to have a restorative nap in the car on the way home (apart from Indi thankfully as he was driving!). I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Marina Mae performing there this time and also the shopping is good. Did I mention I enjoy shopping?
For more information go to www.tramway.co.uk/events/ww2-home-front-0

15th - 16th August 2015
Ayscoughfee Hall Museum 1940s Weekend
Down in Spalding this year the Ayscoughfee Hall Museum and Gardens are having a 1940's weekend where there will be vehicles, entertainers, stalls and more! On the Saturday there is even a flypast from the BBMF. I'm not sure if this is the first year they have held this event or if I've been totally oblivious to it but I've never been before. Unfortunately I won't be attending as I have plans to visit friends in London on that weekend. We have some very good plans indeed but it's a shame I won't be available to go check this little event out. Spalding is really pretty with the river and though I've never been in the hall it looks lovely and a great setting for a 1940s weekend.
For more information go to www.sholland.gov.uk/leisure/ayscoughfee/

22nd - 23rd August 2015
Ramsey 1940s Weekend
Another event that is out of the county but as Indi's folks live near Petetborough we often stop over with them so it's not much of a drive to Ramsey. This is another event I get excited about because I always have so much fun when I'm there. I don't want to jinx it but we have always had lovely weather whenever we have been and it just got all the elements you need for a great 40's event. There's top notch entertainment in the big top tent (I just love big top circus tents!), lots of vintage vehicles, great living history displays, fly past, oh and maybe some shopping. Really the shopping is great and I have noticed that some of traders at Ramsey who I then see again at Twinwood Festival and since we won't be going to Twinwood this year or next (something important came up, like our wedding!) I'm going to be extra into all of the stalls. This year we are hoping to meet up with friends while we are there so it's going to be even more fun. I will say though that this year we will be packing a picnic to take with since me being a vegetarian I do struggle to find something I like to eat. Although having said that we were told last year that there's a really good Naafi there which has completely past us by!
For more information go to www.ramsey1940s.co.uk

23rd August 2015
1940s Day at Lincoln Brayford Waterfront
Again another event right on our doorstep! This is for one day only folks and will include The Lancashire Belle wartime singer, a wartime blitz fire engine display and lots of stalls. Also scheduled is a flypast from the BBMF Lancaster Avro but I'm not sure if this will go ahead as the Avro is poorly. Unfortunately we will be in Ramsey as we had already planned to go and made arrangements with friends by the time we found out about this event. Also sandwiched between the Odeon and Wagammas I'm not sure it's the best setting. If you do go let me know what your experience was like, I'd love to know!
For more information go to www.visitlincoln.com/whats-on/1940s-day-8-15

28th - 31st August 2015
The Asylum - Lincoln Steampunk Festival
As I previously mentioned in my last post Dieselpunk Inspiration I am highly excited for the Steampunk weekend this year. It's such a fun event to go to with loads to do even if you're not a steampunk yourself. It attracts a lot of visitors to the city and is the biggest steampunk festival in Europe, imagine that! We don't usually buy wristbands for the weekend though they get you into a lot of the events but there's plenty to do mingling and browsing the stalls to keep us happy. The castle grounds are now free to enter too so if the weather is nice you could take a picnic to enjoy some of the best historical surroundings going. You can read about what we got up to and wore at last years event here. It never used to be on the Bank Holiday and it's a bit of a bind that it's been moved really because ordinarily we go to Twinwood Festival on August Bank Holiday.
For more information go to www.asylumsteampunk.co.uk

29th - 31st August 2015
Rauceby War Weekend
This was one of the very first vintage events I attended many moons ago and after I vowed I must get an amazing outfit like so many of the ladies I had seen there that day. In recent years we haven't been again as it clashes with Twinwood but this year we are hoping to go on the Monday as we have decided to skip Twinwood this year in favour of trying out some of the events we never get to go to due to the clash. There are lots of things going on at the event with a lot of living history re-enactments and if I remember right last time I went you could ride in a tank! There's an arena with staged battle re-eactments, vehicles, dances, entertainment, stalls, and as it's in a field there's a Naafi too for refreshments, and you'll work up a thirst going round the event since there's so much to do!
For more information go to www.raucebywarweekend.co.uk

Sorry for such a long post folks but there is just so much going on this month. When the summer is over I'm going to need a lie down in a dark room to get over it. What's in your calendar this summer? Are you going to be at any of the events I've talked about?

ttfn!

No comments:

Post a Comment